Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Evaluation of My Natural Leadership Style

I am most comfortable taking on a leadership role that is required during the forming and storming stage. I believe that I have the skill set to provide clear direction during the times of uncertainly and anxiety. When I joined Global IT Partners, I was immediately tasked to lead a complicated Sarbanes Oxley Compliance training project for an important client. The mandate I had was to provide a standardized training across multiple sites and within a stipulated time frame. I was the newest member of the staff and here I was assigned to lead the most visible effort of the company. I did not get to pick my own team since I was relatively new and did not know much about the internal workings of the company. My boss assigned me a team which constituted of high potential professionals, who happened to be high-tempered as well. A few of them were in the same applicant pool from which I was selected for the new job and while the others simply did not like me or other team members.

There I was, a new employee tasked with this grandiose project and provided with a team who could kill each other at a drop of a hat, all of this did not even figure in my First-90 Days Plan. I had a choice, surrender or lead to victory. The latter seemed logical choice because I did not want to give up even if it meant rewriting project plans to include contingency plan for minimizing the impact of friendly fire by the team which welcomed me with salvos of “this too shall pass” looks.


One by one I met with individual members of my team, explained them the purpose of the assignment and my proposed time line besides the action plan for which I solicited their inputs. It did not take me much time to confirm my belief that they all were smart people who wanted to be heard and wanted acknowledgement. In my initial meetings I could see the proverbial iceberg melting. Due to the extent of the domain knowledge, I needed their inputs for charting out the course for the project Despite their individual power struggles I could see that they all were at peace with my leadership role after the first week. They could see that I was not going anywhere and I can provide direction for the complicated project ahead. The ancient wisdom that has always guided me in life pointed towards one act that could make or marr the project and that was, listening. I listened to their issues questions and concerns and sought their ideas for the project. I could see them opening up and willingness to commit

After the second week, it was a smoother sail. Our team did an excellent job of delivering the promised goods!! Team work, works!!!

The leadership role that I do not feel energized performing is that of a leader in performing stage. I feel that when the teams are set and formed and the work flow is going smoothely, there is a less challenge for a team and the situation is more or less like business as usual.

2 comments:

  1. Your entry on your trials and tribulations was a fascinating read. It sounds like you did a fabulous job in a very challenging situation. And it strengthened me in my resolve to listen even more closely to the professionals in my team. You are right, it is an ancient wisdom, but one that is too quickly forgotten in today’s environment, where everything is blurred out by extraneous information overload. Taking time for the actual people that are the professionals was an excellent choice not only in your specific situation, but in general. I was also amazed that somebody posted that storming ( and forming) is their preferred team stage. It takes a rare individual to realize that these challenges, not the smooth sailing, are what pushes their personal boundaries and enables them to succeed beyond what is expected of them. Thank you for the fresh perspective. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am amazed that you had such a challenging start yet you were successful in achieving the goal of your assignment. I think you have done a great job in handling the project. You did the right choice by communicating very well with your team, and you showed them that they were important to the mission. It is important to every team member to realize how important he or she is for the project, and it takes a great manager to make anyone dedicated and committed to the common goal of the project. Once getting everyone set to perform it might become easier, but keeping every one motivated and willing to perform is also another important skill that a project manager should have.

    ReplyDelete